Sunday, November 21, 2004

Google's New Toy: "The Ultimate Interface to the Planet"

This is quite fascinating! Last month Google acquired Keyhole Corp, a company that provides a 3D digital model of the entire earth via the Internet. Users can enter an address or other location information and Keyhole's software accesses the database and takes them to a digital image of that location on their computer screen. Keyhole's downloadable interactive comes with a large number of "bells and whistles", including the ability to zoom in from space-level to street-level, tilt and rotate the view or search for other information such as hotels, parks, ATMs or subways. Unable to resist the tagline on Keyhole Corp's website,
"Fly from space to your home town. Visit exotic locales such as Maui, Tokyo, Rome and Paris. Satellite imagery makes it real. Explore restaurants, hotels, parks and schools. Think magic carpet ride!"
I quickly downloaded a 7-day trial version on my laptop and went on my own magic carpet ride. Here are a few snaps. I started my trip in Oakland and I was quite surprised at the detail resolution available in these images - I could see my building, rooftop, carport, and even some of the windows when zoomed in enough (for those of you who know us, click to see if you can find our place). The details were astonishing. Continuing on my journey, I flew over to the Golden Gate Bridge and found the satellite images revealing the surface below the water level clearly -- notice the elliptical ring below the bridge tower (image). You could also see the terrain profiles below coastal waters around the area. Then, I took a trip to the nearby Candlestick Park (image) to find a packed stadium and one can almost see the scrimmage on the field when you "zoom" in, although it is pretty blurry. Finally, I went to Paris and included a snap from their here as well - it's just as beautiful from an ariel view as it is when walking the Parisian cobblestone alleys. On my way back, I stopped in Manhattan, St. Louis and Washington DC and then called it a night. While in some ways these images conjured up a frightening sense of Big Brother watching us, at the same time, I cannot deny the feeling of overwhelming joy I sensed from seeing our planet from a bird-eye view in distance space. Check it out for yourself. This is pretty amazing for $29.95/month.

1 comment:

Welcome! said...

Cool blog. I stumbled across it and dug it (Nick Drake & election maps). We seem to be on the same wavelength...swing by my blog sometime: http://charleypatton.blogspot.com

Keyhole has some great global imaging but it ain't cheap...try Topozone.com it's very cool and completely free!
Laters,
-Pitchfork